Friday, May 4, 2012

Protect your dream

Just the other day at work, we were discussing about a fellow colleague. It happened to be his anniversary that day and we came to know that it had been 10 yrs since he got married. That brought the question on how old was he exactly. And, we realized he was well in his late-30s. Now, that's not something to be astonished about but just that the guy doesn't look even 30+, forget nearing 40.
And, the major point that struck the chord was that he had been working since past almost 10 yrs. And, he was still a no-one.
No-one?
I mean, after working 10 yrs in the industry, I want to be someone people know, I want to be someone who stands out in the team, at least. Even if I'm not the best in the trade, or I don't have exemplary patents or awards behind me, I definitely expect myself to be a person, whom people look up and think that she's knowledgeable. She has some experience in the industry. Basically, I should have something beside me that sets a fresher or 3 yrs work-ex person from me.
The person in discussion was not such a person as yet. To say the least, he's practically non-existent in the team.

And, this brought me to the revelation that such a state is also possible. There can be a state where I'm a 10-yrs work-ex and nobody in the team. Just another person working in PV team. Someone. Somebody. Nobody.

It felt like I had lost everything. I mean, I am already 6 yrs work-ex. 10-yrs is not that far and I don't see anything happening to change the course drastically. If I do anything new, I would be a fresher grappling in the waters again. In times, when I should be well successful and settled, I'm still testing different waters. I felt like I've failed even before I tried.

But, perhaps, the problem is that we keep deadlines without thinking rationally. And, to somethings, like dreams, there are no dead-lines. If you want it, you'll want it till the end. And, even if it takes your whole lifetime in achieving it, you won't mind. Because, in the end, it's you who matters and it's your own ambition.

As Will Smith says in 'Pursuit of Happyness' ----
"Don't ever let someone tell you that you can't do something.Not even me. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. When people can't do somethings themselves, they are gonna tell you that you can't do it. You want something, go get it. Period."

1 comment:

  1. to somethings like dreams, there are no dead-lines. True. Yet we do set deadlines, that's being human.

    ReplyDelete